29 December 2006

Morning Coffee (38)

Ladies and Gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for; the Morning Coffee is going online! Yes, that's right. For just zero cents a day, you can get all of your favorite editions, like edition 3, where I wax poetic about serious issues, and edition 16 where I randomly select topics that are interesting and say interesting things about them. Have unlimited access to the infamous "Word of the Day" and the ever interesting, thought evoking "On This Day in History." Remember fondly the times you've had with your Morning Coffee; the laughs, the tears. Share these memories with your loved ones for an incredible low price. All profits go to a very needy cause. But wait, there's more! For an additional zero cents a day, you get access to the biting commentary of another heavy-hitting "weblication" the City of Dis. Here, everything you hold sacred will be ripped apart by our Opinion Providers. Never be in need of an opinion again; we'll do the work for you! Supplies will never run out, so order yours today!

The only place where your Morning Coffee talks back:
http://the-morning-coffee.blogspot.com/

The site is still a work in progress. I'm putting all back issues in there, and the dates will line up with their original publication date. I will also provide links on the left to the other site mentioned. Soon I'll be swimming in ad revenue…

So, we're in a period of mourning for the late President Ford. I've been reading a lot about the guy, and he seems like he was a great man. Not great in a "change the world" way, like Julius Caesar or something, but great in that unassuming way. Actually, like most of the men and women of his generation. He seemed kindly, wise. I would have like to meet him.

Having said that, I'm a little annoyed at all the uproar being caused by Senator Harry Reid not cancelling his trip to South America in order to attend Ford's funeral services. Not the plural there. There will be more than one and there will be a number of other functions. Look, I'm all about honoring the dead, particularly Presidents and servicemen, but I find the insistence on dragging this thing out to be grotesque. It feels to me, too much like Ford (and all dead Presidents - remember Reagan?) is being paraded around the country like some sort of war trophy, or worse, like some sort of personality cult figure. This isn't Lenin or Stalin, and we're not in a authoritarian country where the leader is worshipped as a god. The Office of the President is what is honored, not the man. Yes, he should be respected, but he is still a man. Having gone on a completely errant tangent, back to the point. Who cares if Reid goes on this trip? He's conducting official government business by meeting with several leaders there. I think that these people get enough off days, they don’t need more. The government is already inefficient. I doubt that Reid had a strong relationship with Ford, so what's the big deal? I doubt Ford would be offended. I just don't get it. It's more politics. Reid et al are being railroaded for doing their jobs. I think there will be plenty of mourners available to attend services.

Alright, I'm out of here. Everyone have a safe and happy New Year's weekend. Oh, yay, my "anniversary" is on the first. I'll be sure to wish myself a happy one. What a load! Six wasted years…

Word of the Day: Acuity (noun): acuteness of perception or vision; sharpness. In a sentence: After a malfunction spanning six years, Halen's bullshit detector has been restored to its usual high acuity.

On This Day in History: US Army soldiers kill 400 men, women and children of the Sioux Nation at Wounded Knee, South Dakota. I'll bet you didn't read about that in your high school history classes.

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this quote, as I'm not entirely sure there exists the so-called "good people."

No comments: