21 December 2006

Morning Coffee (34)

Oh, what a day. After having the joy of reading some "legal paperwork" I am in no mood to write pithy commentary about any issue. However, since "duty" calls:

The President of Iran says that America, Britain and the Zionist regime (i.e. Israel) will "vanish like the pharaohs." Specifically: "any power that is close to god will survive while the powers who are far from god will disappear like the pharaohs." Is he talking close, like, geographically, or metaphysically? Because we in the US have a pretty solid claim to being close to god geographically. Mormons say that the big Jeez visited here. Not to mention, we've got some pretty high mountains. Anyway, Ahmedinejad's statements reflect the typical over-simplification of mewling propagandists. Using glamorous, emotion eliciting words with no consideration given to what those words really mean. What does he mean by "disappear like the pharaohs"? I'll bet he doesn’t know that pharaohs existed for quite a long time. It's not like they simply vanished in a puff of smoke once god became angry at them. They existed for more than 3,000 years. Furthermore, Ahmenidejad's god, (and yours too likely - Judaism (and thus Abrahamic religions) traces its lineage back to ~1,800 BCE) didn't even exist for most of the time Ancient Egypt was a power. After Egypt became a Roman province (30 BCE), Roman emperors were known as pharaohs while in Egypt. If I were the US (wait, I am sort of), I'd be pleased with his insistence that we will disappear like the pharaohs. We've got about 3,000 years or so left to be kicking around.

That's it, I'm done for today.

Word of the Day: Malaise (noun): 1. a vague feeling of discomfort in the body, as at the onset of illness; 2. a general feeling of depression or unease. How fitting.

On This Day in History: Jennifer Hawkins, Miss Universe 2004, and a girl with whom I would like to become acquainted, was born (1983). She seems nice. Yes, that's the only neat thing to happen today in all of recorded history. What do you want from me?

"Compassion is broken now. My will is eroded now. Desire is broken now, and it makes me feel ugly. I'm broken, looking up to see the enemy. And I have swallowed the poison you're feeding me, but I believed all the promises you feed me; leaving me guilt fed, hatred fed, weakness fed. It makes me feel ugly."

No comments: