20 December 2006

Morning Coffee (33)

Today, Morning Coffee with a side of irrelevance:

I'm beginning to suspect that the unit coin that I carry around for luck is not all that lucky after all. I've realized that it was when I started to carry the coin every day that virtually everything that could go wrong has indeed done so. I gave my grandfather a copy of the coin, which is for 3rd Marine Division's G-2 shop. When he died, I took the coin that I gave him and put it in the left breast pocket of his suit coat when he was buried. From that day on I have carried my coin in my left pants pocket without fail; whenever I leave the house, the coin goes in that pocket. That was late May 2005. I could go into the laundry list of things that have happened since, and most of them aren't good. But that would be depressing and pointless. The fact of the matter is I fear this coin is somehow cursed, and has thus cursed me. And I'm not exactly sure what to do about it since the coin has sentimental value in its connection with my grandfather.

Odd isn't it? An atheist with paralyzing superstitions? Funny thing is, they rarely work. But I cannot seem to break their hold on me. Regardless, it would be very nice if I had a string of good luck that went beyond the minor things like finding a decent parking spot against all odds. I'm talking something substantial. No, not winning the lottery; you have to play to win, and I don't. But something great, and something for which I didn't have to fight an uphill battle, against the elements and the will of the gods. Just something that falls in my lap and makes getting up every day something other than a monotonous, crippling chore. Not going to happen, but I can certainly wish. Maybe I should go a week without the coin.

In other news, my Entry-Level Analyst's Tools and Skills (ELATS) paper is finally set for publication in the Marine Corps Intelligence Association's (MCIA) seasonal magazine INTSUM. It should be out soon. You may say, "there you go, your lucky break." No. It was originally picked up for publication well over a year ago by Competitive Intelligence Magazine and their editor simply dropped off the face of the planet and never contacted me again after I signed a whole bunch of paper work binding me to various responsibilities. So, I waited around for a while, because I was still under "contract" to not seek initial publication elsewhere. Some time went by and I finally sought other outlets. MCIA got ahold of it (since I'm a member) and they wanted to publish it. This was in, oh, I don't know February of last year. Three issues have been publishes since, and my paper was supposed to be the featured article in each. Now, I'm not complaining, but I would be hesitant to say that this is my lucky windfall. For one, it doesn't pay. No one pays for your first publication. And any future publications would require substantial work on my part, and would probably not be worth the time I would spend researching and editing my work. I might do it for a hobby, but not for supplemental income. Especially not while in a graduate program in Ancient and Classical History. So, anyway, it'll be out in a month or so. None of you will probably ever see it, but I'm going to try to rustle up some copies for distribution. That way everyone can be so proud of how successful I am professionally, whilst my private life is like a bad LSD induced episode of Jerry Springer. Wow. Is that negative? Well, perhaps tomorrow I'll brighten up your Morning Coffee with some Irish Whiskey and some creamer. But you all know what I think about tomorrows.

Word of the Frickin' Day: Derogate (intransitive verb): 1. to deviate from what is expected; 2. to take away; to detract; --usually with "from"

On This Day in History: Judge John E Jones rules against mandating teaching "intelligent design" in schools (2005). I know, I know, what a boring day. It was either this or the surrender of the Knights of Rhodes to Suleiman the Magnificent (what kind of pretentious putz has that name anyway) in 1522. They eventually resettled in Malta and became, you guessed it, the Knights of Malta.

A quote…I'm trying to think of a good one. Perhaps tomorrow.

No comments: