25 January 2007

Morning Coffee (51)

Wow. What do discuss today? Surprisingly, and after a Herculean effort, I dragged my dessicated carcass out of couch this morning. I woke a mere three minutes before my alarm clock/rolodex (i.e. worthless, turned off cell-phone). I uttered a pointless, "You've got to be kidding me." I'm not sure to who I was speaking. Father time perhaps. I didn't go back to sleep, but it took me about 20 minutes to wrest my body from its position.

CNN, the masters of the obvious, reports that al-Qaida has a safe haven in the Pakistan frontier. They actually pay these people to write this stuff. Children as young as fetuses know this.

Barak Obama is going to have a blast running for the Presidency. Someone (and I really don't care who) reported that while a child living in Indonesia, Obama was enrolled in a madrassa - one that supposedly espoused Wahhabism. Turns out the story wasn't exactly correct; more misleading. But, like anything else, the negative makes the front page, whereas the retraction or correction or vindication typically end up on page 12. It's going to be a fun campaign year. Frankly, I won't vote for Obama simply because he's got as much experience as a thimble, but this sort of stuff makes me sick. I actually sympathize with him more than I would have otherwise.

I'm going to stop now before my head explodes.

Word of the Day: Dissimulate (transitive verb): to conceal under a false appearance; (intransitive verb): to hide one's feelings or intentions; to put on a false appearance; to feign; to pretend. Pretty sure I've used this one once before; someone QC the MC. No matter, I like the word.

On This Day in History: Claudius accepted as Roman Emperor (41 CE). Russia declared a republic of Soviets (1918). Russia ends state of war with Germany (1955). Also, today is Opposite Day.

"From yesterday, it's coming. From yesterday, the fear. From yesterday, it calls him. But he doesn't want to read the message here." - "From Yesterday"

No comments: