09 January 2007

Morning Coffee (42)

Yay. Another day. So fun, so exciting. What to say other than "yay"? But, there's always the Morning Coffee to make things worth living, right? If I say so.

First real snow of the season this morning. An inch or so of wet accumulation. Made driving to work this morning really fun. And by fun I mean not fun at all. They don't plow the roads here much from what I can tell, and I think they add some chemical to the asphalt that makes it slipperier that a wet noodle as soon as a drop of moisture touches it. If I die any time soon, it'll be because I've smashed into a tree or an oncoming car, all due to the sweet roads. The Romans built better roads than these…two thousand years ago or more. Little known fact, since we're talking about ancient roads: the Persians had some pretty good roads too, long before Rome came to be an important power.

I went and saw Rocky Balboa last night. It's the first movie I've seen in the theater in almost exactly three months. In fact, the night before life sucker punched me with a flailing right hook I went to a movie; a date so to speak (the right hook came about an hour after seeing the movie). Anyway, Rocky…pretty good movie. I'm frankly glad Stallone did it. After the debacle that was Rocky V, it was good to have some closure. I was going to write up some eloquent prose about how inspirational it was, and it was very much so, but I really don't feel like it at the moment. What will follow will make no sense to you unless you've seen the movie. Suffice it to say that I wish that I could find "the beast." I had it once; knew where it was. My drive. That aching hunger that propelled me to semi-greatness. Rocky still has his, and it was the driving factor in getting him to fight again. He still had the drive. I wish mine would manifest itself sometime soon. I fear that it will not.

Normally, I don't care about football period, let alone college football. However, today is different. I care because I'm going to have to hear about the stupid Ohio State loss to whoever beat them. All I'm going to hear about it this stupid friggin' game. A bunch of no name kids who will probably be criminals in five years because they didn't make the NFL. Who cares? I'll tell you who. Every one in this building. If it isn't the stupid Ohio State Buckeyes, it's the Cincinnati Bangles and their ridiculous "who dey!" chant/greeting/acknowledgement. It's worse than "ooh rah" in the Marine Corps. For one, it sounds whimpish. For two, they abuse it worse than any boot Marine abuses "ooh rah." I do not care about Ohio State/college football…I do not care about Ohio State/football period. Don't complain to me about the loss of one football game played by a bunch of kids whose names I don't even know.

Okay, I'm going to sign off before this Coffee gets more stale and bitter. Like you thought that could happen…

Word of the Day: Sunder (transitive verb): to break apart; to separate; to divide; to sever; (intransitive verb): to become parted, disunited, or severed. I've probably used this word in the past as a WoD. I don't care. It's fitting, and frankly, I could easily think of a few heads that I'd like to sunder.

On This Day in History: US Marine Corps ordered to invade Honduras (1912). Incidentally, it's also "Stepfather's Day." Stepfathers don't deserve a friggin' day. It's a bullshit holiday invented by idiots for one of two reasons. One, to make more god damned money; two, to make insecure assholes feel better about the fact that they're incompetent fathers in their own right and not feel so guilty about playing daddy to another man's children. Step anything is fictional. He's either your father or he isn't. My kid won't call any man or woman step shit. He's got a mom and a dad, anything else he can call them by name. When asked, he can refer to her as, "my dad's wife." "Well, isn't that your step-mom?" No, it's my dad's WIFE. There will be no such thing as "step daddy" or "step mommy." It's bullshit. And that's all I've got to say about that for the time being. Just when you thought it couldn't get any more bitter…

No quote today. If I had one, it would be so negative and hateful that it would merely appear as a black splotch on your computer screen.

No comments: