19 January 2007

Morning Coffee (49)

Another day, another cup of Coffee. This morning, I'm drinking this Raspberries and Cream flavored coffee from Millstone, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It's not exactly helping me stay awake, but no coffee really does. I guess this is why baseball players use amphetamines.

Congress is going to do some non-binding vote thing to send a message to the president on his Iraq policy. It's a "bipartisan resolution condemning" Bush's plan to increase the troops in Iraq. So we're paying these yahoos to make votes on things they have no ability to change. They even admit it. In that case, me and my co-workers are going to vote for a non-binding resolution supporting the colonization of the Crab Nebula. Additionally, we're going to pass a vote of no confidence in the Great Plains' prairie dogs and their insistence on peeking out of their holes. Come on! This stuff is nonsense. Either vote to deny funding for a "surge", which is in your power as the legislative branch, or shut your pie holes. Why waste time with these pointless votes? Do some legislation; pass some more stupid laws. Or better yet, review some of the old laws on the books and get rid of them. But they know they can't vote to deny funding; it would be disastrous. Even hinting at not supporting the troops is political suicide. That's why Pelosi says things like, "The president knows that because the troops are in harm's way, that we won't cut off the resources. That's why he's moving so quickly to put them in harm's way." Other than admitting that they cannot cut funding without losing power, this statement is stupid on multiple levels. He's moving so quickly to, as you say, "put them in harm's way" because he knows you won't cut off resources to troops in harm's way? Interesting…The devil's in the verbiage.

Going to go rather low-brow for a minute. Never would I have thought that "American Idol" would be a topic of discussion in a Morning Coffee. However, Rosie O'Donnell and her co-stooges on "The View" launched into a scathing attack on the hit show this week. Apparently, Rosie's been emboldened by her relative success in attacking Donald Trump. O'Donnell says that America doesn't want to see people made fun of on TV. Well, apparently they do, because the show is shattering its own records in viewership. I've said from the start of this buffoonery that it was crap TV and has little to do with music. But that's what America wants: they want a show that makes fun of people's inadequacies (musically, physically, etc.) and they want their pre-packaged, staged musical acts. The numbers don't lie. Millions of people watch this stuff every week. I'm not sure what that says about our society, but it doesn't seem like it could be anything good. Remember, the Romans were fascinated with the gladiatorial games. Other than blood and death, is this really any different, fundamentally? On a side note: while reading about O'Donnell whining over the American Idol judges' poking fun at physical appearances, I could only sit back and remember fondly the comb-over, poofy hair, sour faced impersonations she did of Trump a few weeks ago. Ah, the sweet hypocrisy.

There will probably not be any Morning Coffee on Monday or Tuesday next week. I am having my son down to visit this weekend, and I'll need to return him to Erie. No, not because I want too, but because I haven't a half a dozen people that can watch him for me while I work. So, you'll have to make your own pot. Send them to me; would like to see what you come up with.

Word of the Day: Corpulent (adjective): very fat; obese.
On This Day in History: German zeppelins bomb two cities in Britain, killing over 20 people. This is the first major aerial bombardment of a civilian target in history (1915). Also, for all you southerners, today is Confederate Heroes Day in Texas. Yee haw!

"There's a shadow just behind me, shrouding every step I take, making every promise empty, pointing every finger at me. Waiting like a stalking butler, who upon the finger rests. Murder now the path called "must we," just before the son has come. I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down." Sober.

No comments: