11 January 2007

Morning Coffee (44)

Good morning again. How's it going? That's nice. I hope it's all going well. It's going well here for the time being. Colder than cold, but pretty good. Tired though. I only remember a few times ever being this tired. They were all in the Marine Corps though. I know what the problem is. I'm staying up too late working on my stupid songs!

I suppose we could discuss the President's address last night. It's 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Yuck, yuck…Anyway. I really hate political speeches. They seem so sterile; wholly void of any semblance of emotion. I'm not talking about sappy emotion, but emotion period. They could be given by an android and the delivery would be the same. I've only witnessed perhaps a handful of political speeches that have roused so much as a tingling in the belly. When he first started out, I liked Bush's speaking style. It seemed genuine, prepared, yes, but somehow off the cusp. Like he had bullet points, and just sort of played it by ear from there. That's what I prefer. For some reason, everyone loved Clinton's speeches. I felt they were bland. Which is why I liked Bush. The art of speaking publicly is pretty much dead in America. Blame it on the information age, I guess. But, we can discuss that whole thing some other time (perhaps this weekend).

Instead, I'd like to touch on the content of this speech. Bush basically admitted that it was a mistake not to have more troops. Okay, great. So we're sending more troops now. I did notice the subtle politicking of this speech on this regard. Bush said somewhere that the commanders had assured him that the numbers being sent would get the job done. Very deftly deflecting blame if it fails. I'm not sure how anyone can assure anyone of a thing like this.

President Bush mentioned Shia "death squads." This is a term I've always found somewhat humorous. Death squads. Like some sports team. Do they hold tryouts? Do they have a B-team? Do they hold split-squad competitions? It's one of those terms designed simply to invoke a negative air. I would like to know just what constitutes a death squad. Thoughts?

"The terrorists and insurgents are without conscience." Not very objective, that statement. Do we really know this for certain? Has there been some community wide intelligence report on the conscience levels of terrorist and insurgents? I suppose they could say the same about an American platoon, or a combat aircraft. Bombs tend to kill indiscriminately, whether dropped from a plane or placed on the side of the road covered in dirt.

What am I getting at here? I have no idea. I'm tired, man. Morning Coffee pot 44 is sub-par. I expect you all to recognize the inferiority of this particular edition, but remember the greatness of previous editions while reading this drivel. You can't win them all, isn't that what they say? Here at Morning Coffee, we hold ourselves to the highest standards possible dependent upon the mental capabilities of our writers at any given time. Since it's just me, we'll have to take the ebb and flow in stride.

Lastly, I noticed Bush didn't make mention of god in his closing. Okay, scratch that. I'm guessing god's the "Author of Liberty" who will guide us. He snuck that one in on me. I'll bet 90% of the people who watched the speech didn't even notice that. God wrapped inside an enigma, cloaked in a riddle…

And speaking of riddles…no one, not a single one, not even Joe, my most faithful responder, even attempted to answer! That is down right blasphemous. Come on!

Okay, I'm killing this edition before it kills me. How long must this day last? Now that's a riddle. Perhaps the answer would be forever. I mean, think about it. That's deep man.

Word of the Day: Bowdlerize (transitive verb): 1. to remove or modify the parts (of a book for example) considered offensive; 2. to modify, as by shortening, simplifying, or distorting in style or content.

On This Day in History: Nika riots in Constantinople (532 CE). 30,000 people put to the sword for rioting at the Hippodrome. Also, Carmentalia, a feast day of Carmenta, the Roman goddess of childbirth and prophecy was held on this day.

I need a good quote…any suggestions?

No comments: