10 January 2007

Morning Coffee (43)

Good morning all. And I actually mean it today. I feel really good today; it's been so long since I've felt really good, I'm not really sure how to react. Last night was a pretty good night. Played my song live to a couple of friends over the phone, had some great conversation with an great old/new friend (witty repartee, even?), made some tentative plans for this weekend (good plans too, not those crappy ones like a solo trip to the movies), knocked out a stellar recording of one of my songs, a half-assed version of another, wrote the better part of a new one (hey, maybe someone inspired me). This morning, I get up, find a nice message on my computer, take a nice hot shower. Driving into work I hear one of the best songs ever recorded: "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits. I'm sure I could feel better than this, but why push my luck? I'm sure something better would merely mean taking a hit somewhere else, like my car, so I'll take this.

So with that, I'm not sure what to cover in today's Morning Coffee, although it's a good, fresh pot for a change. I guess I'll just finish off this cup, and go pour myself another one. I suggest you folks do the same. The Morning Coffee's best with good company, and you, my faithful readers, are the best kind.

Word of the Day: Ensorcell (transitive verb): to enchant; to bewitch. I enjoy being ensorcelled. One more: coxcomb (noun): 1. obsolete - A cap worn by court jesters; adorned with a strip of red (now cockscomb). 2. archaic - The top of the head, or the head itself. 3. obsolete - A fool. 4. a vain, showy fellow; a conceited, silly man, fond of display; a superficial pretender to knowledge or accomplishment; a dandy. Now that's one hell of a word. Use it and be proud you've done so.

On This Day in History: Gaius Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signaling the start of civil war in Rome (49 BCE). It was at this time Caesar uttered the infamous phrase "Alea jacta est." The die is cast. The Roman Republic would soon cease to exist, replaced by an Empire that would exist in one manner or another for the next 1400 odd years.

A riddle: Does anyone know what on earth this guy's talking about?
"If you have it, you don't need it. If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it you need more of it. If you have more of it you don't need less of it. You need it to get it. And you certainly need it to get more of it. But if you don't already have any of it to begin with, you can't get any of it to get started, which means really have no idea how to get it in the first place, do you? You can share it, sure. You can even stockpile it if you'd like. But you can't fake it. Wanting it, needing it, wishing for it. The point is, if you've never had any of it, ever, people just seem to know."

"And then the man he steps right up to the microphone, and says at last just as the time bell rings. "Thank you, goodnight, now it's time to go home." And he makes it fast with one more thing: "We are the sultans, we are the sultans of swing…"" - Dire Straits.

No comments: