18 January 2007

Morning Coffee (48)

Today's Coffee is decaff. Yeah, I know decaff sucks, but it's better than drinking water.

There was an error in edition 46. I erroneously reported that Congress hadn't declared war in over 40 years. I transposed 1940s and 60 years, which would have been the correct statement. Congress last declared war on 05 Jun 1942 on Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary. Thanks to Joe for catching my foible.

Senator Clinton wants to impose troop caps for Iraq. What is this, the NFL? I'm not sure that's beneficial. But what it does, however, is allow her to be against the Bush plan without undermining support for the troops currently there. Politically it's smart, because she's playing the middle. She does not want to be seen as not supporting the troops (no one does, which is good even though it's fake), and it separates her from her colleagues who wish to hamstring the president through denying money. Of course, your average person won't see through the idiocy of "troop caps" but what can you do?

I'll be in Erie Monday and Tuesday. Woo hoo.

Well, like I said, decaff.

Word of the Day: Cudgel (noun): a short stick used as a weapon; a club. (transitive verb): to beat with or as if with a cudgel.

On This Day in History: Nika riots in Constantinople fail (532 BCE). This ended badly for the rioters…

"And I remember the day when you left for Santa Monica, you left me to remain with all your excuses for everything. And I remember the time when you left for Santa Monica, and I remember the day you told me it's over." - Theory of a Deadman "Santa Monica"

No comments: