07 February 2007

Morning Coffee (60)

I arrived home last night to find one dead robin at my door. No idea what happened to the other two. It was cold. It snowed a bunch yesterday; they let us out an hour early (not me since they announced that exactly when I was scheduled to leave) and then gave us an hour delay today. Great weather….

Of no particular importance, I am guaranteed to hear one of three bands both to and from work every single day: Green Day, Nirvana, and Collective Soul. Strange…

The nanny state mentality is getting a bit ridiculous. Read an article today where a NY state senator wants to pass legislation that prohibits talking on a cell phone, using a Blackberry, or wearing headphones (iPod) while crossing a street in NYC. I read another article today where in Texas they're thinking of making it a crime for a parent to miss a meeting with a teacher. $500 fine and a criminal record. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Screw it, we need MORE laws prohibiting MORE things. Regulate. Regulate society by force of law. Make every offense criminal. Soon, you'll have a society full of criminals with no rights (I mean the rights that haven't already been revoked through legislation). Freedom isn't free, but the illusion of freedom costs a lot more. I'm sure I'll hear a bunch of ranting about how free this country is. Make no mistake, I'm a patriot, but if anyone has a right to complain (and I think everyone does), it's me. No matter how good we have it, we should always be able to voice complaints and not hear redneck idiots say things like, "Love it or leave it," or think they're making some point by saying, "You couldn't even say that in ______." Absolutely right, I couldn't say it there, which is all the more reason to say it here. Sooner or later folks, the people you and I elect are going to legislate away your life. You wanna go to Cuba? Good luck. Smoking? Gone. iPod listening? Gone. Cell phone use? Gone. You are not trusted to police yourself, and perhaps rightfully so. But, regardless, you lose while they gain.

Speaking of gaining, Nancy Pelosi's requested the use of an Air Force private jet to ferry her about the country. She cites security reasons. So, you proles can go ahead and use your commercial air while the aristocracy uses military equipment, all for the sake of safety. Maybe we shouldn't fly commercial because of safety concerns. She's no more important than us, right? According to an article in the Washington Times today, the 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews Air Force Base is used by Congress as their own Hertz Rent-a-Car. This annoys me. I wonder if they reimburse the Air Force or the Dept of Defense. They make $160,000 plus. Learn how to budget. Stop taking huge entourages with you. This stuff infuriates me.

Okay, angry dude out.

Word of the Day: Idee fixe (ee-day-FEEKS) (noun): an idea that dominates the mind; a fixed idea; an obsession. I have a few of these.

On This Day in History: Leo I becomes emperor of the Byzantine Empire, also known as the Eastern Roman Empire (457).

"Give no woman power over you to trample upon your dignity." - From Sirach

No comments: