06 February 2007

Morning Coffee (59)

It's cold outside. So cold, in fact, when I went out to warm up my vehicle, there were three robins huddled against the edge of the door. They didn't move much, and it appears that they had been there for quite some time as they had defecated repeatedly. One actually scurried off when I came back in, but the other two are probably still there. I wonder how much warmth they got from my door. Probably not much. The thermometer indicates that it was exactly 0 degrees; my furnace could not reach the 66 I had it set at - the best it managed was 62.

Here's a question for you. If it's 0 degrees Fahrenheit, and it gets twice as cold overnight, how cold does it get?

Remarkably, I heard hardly a peep about the "Super" Bowl yesterday. Boy was I relieved.

Scientist A: "Global Warming is REAL!" Scientist B: "Global Warming is mass hysteria!" Me: *rolls up newspaper* "Stop it!" said repeatedly, while *slapping both ideologues in the nose with the paper*.

There's a new scandal in the Iraq War. Some British paper released a 2003 US Dept of Defense video that captured a friendly fire incident in which a US A-10 fired upon British troops, killing one. Transcripts from the tape show how horrified these pilots were after learning that friendly units were in the area. Upon receiving word that they had killed a British LCpl, one pilot said he was going to be sick, while the other repeatedly uttered obscenities. I would hate to have been those pilots.

Wow…just when you get used to life pounding the zone with nasty inside breaking pitches, it throws you a nice meaty fastball right down the heart of the plate. But since you were expecting a filthy, lights-out, 80mph, 12-6 curveball with a 10 inch break on your 3-2 count, the 98mph smokeball seems impossible to catch up with. An email I got this morning (about 10 minutes ago) is that fastball. It's a hitter's dream. But I resigned myself to curveballs, sliders, forkballs, and splitters, and I'm not sure I can catch up to the heat now…

Word of the Day: Ennui (noun): a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom.

On This Day in History: Gaius Julius Caesar defeats the combined army of Pompeian followers and Numidians under Metellus Scipio and Juba at Thapsus (modern Ras Dimas, Tunisia - for those of you who are geographically challenged, that's northern Africa at the 8 o'clock position if Sicily were the center) (46 BCE).

"Audaces fortuna juvat."

No comments: