14 May 2008

Morning Coffee (126)

Good Morning Coffee Drinkers. I hope that today’s Cup of Java finds you well and in good spirits. I write you today with a gallimaufry of feelings; joy and some sadness. Joy because, as some of you might already know, tomorrow is my last day at work. I have accepted a new job in a new place doing what I hope is exciting things with quality, professional people. I have not had that experienced the latter part of that sentence in quite some time. Suffice it to say that I have not found the last year and a half particularly rewarding professionally, and if I may be frank, the quality of people with whom I’ve worked during this time has been rather lacking if not nonexistent. So joy is the order of the day.

But I also write with some sadness. For one, this new job will take me overseas, away from family and normalcy. Away from my own bed which is comfortably and, once again, reliably warmed by my dearest wife. I will greatly miss her and the quite companionship, the comfortable presence that has developed over the years between two people who’ve grown to know and love one another more than they ever thought possible, through good and bad. I will be away from my son, who with his boundless energy and the unfettered enthusiasm and curiosity of a young child is the source of endless amusement and he is surprisingly the subject of some doting on my part. I will miss my dog, whose age is showing, but who always draws a smile when I look at her goofy bulldog face and dried out tongue; I’ll even miss the obnoxious snoring that often keeps me awake into the wee hours of the night. I will miss my parents, who I see and speak to less often than I’d like, and who, along with my grandparents, are a main reason why I am going; they taught me to do the right thing, to do what needs to be done, even it it’s difficult. I will undoubtedly miss countless other, unnamed things, as does any person who must leave for a period of time.

If that weren’t bad enough, our Coffee dates may become few and far between. Let’s hope that I will be able to Brew with the same amount of (ir)regularity that I have been of late. If I can Brew at all, it may take some time to get the Pot ready, as I will be in transition for a time. However, as I do not start my new job until 02 Jun, I’m hoping to get some in while I enjoy some much needed time off.

Having thoroughly depressed you all, I find no reason to tell you that Earth is trying to kill us all with her damned cyclones, earthquakes and volcanoes; I’m sure you’ve seen the news.

Word of the Day: Fetter (noun): 1. A chain or shackle for the feet; a bond; a shackle. 2. Anything that confines or restrains; a restraint. I will soon be UN-fettered.

On This Day in History: Dante Alighieri was born (1321). Jamestown, Virginia is settled as an English colony (1607). Delegates meet in Philadelphia to write a new Constitution for the United States (1787). Edward Jenner administers the first smallpox vaccination (1796). Lewis and Clark begins its historic journey (1804). Lina Medina becomes the youngest confirmed mother in medical history at age five (1939). The Warsaw Pact is signed by eight communist bloc countries (1955). Skylab, the first US space station, is launched (1973).

“I’m finished!” – Daniel Plainview.

No comments: