16 March 2007

Morning Coffee (66)

We are seeing the evolution of Glory. It is dying. In this modern, insurgent-soaked war, we are seeing the death of Glory. The use of contractors to fulfill mission critical components is the reason for this death. The contractor is an interesting beast. Generally, he is a prior-serviceman. Many times he is a Special Forces trained prior-serviceman. SEALs, Recon, Delta, something. But the key work is “prior.” He no longer IS. He takes a job, sometimes doing the same thing he did in the military, and with the same arms, and makes a lot of money doing it; way more than he could have made while in the military. But what is his status? He is no longer a soldier, right? What is he, civilian? No.

When he dies, serving his country, what is he given? Where is his Glory? He receives none, yet he died. He died just as the Marine dies: in combat, to enemy fire. But he receives no Glory. His children cannot honor him for his sacrifice to country. He will not be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. His family will receive no pension.

Perhaps he does it for money, I know I did. I also did it to be a part of something. I was out of the Marine Corps. The job fell in my lap. I saw “Afghanistan” and “Karzai Protective Detail” and I was sold. That was before I saw the money. The money just sealed the deal. It provided an opportunity for fiscal security for a time. But what if I had died? What if I was killed? And I could have been killed a number of times. Once we drove through a checkpoint, past men with AK-47s and RPGs who clearly wanted us to stop. They had ill-intent. Rockets routinely fell on Kabul, as did mortars. Suicide bombings were just becoming vogue in Afghanistan at that time as well. We had a shooting incident outside the Embassy gate. Had I died, yes, technically it would have been in service to my country, but the Glory would have been gone. I would have received none of it. My death would not have been celebrated by my countrymen, and my family would have no claim to my Glory, since my death would have been without Glory. I may even have been ridiculed for being greedy, since I made $10,000 a month while there.

Honestly, I’m torn. I feel that these men’s’ sacrifice should be honored, but I’m also hesitant because they did not die wearing the uniform of their service. Surely, they have earned Glory, but how much, and how do we express that? They and their families make the same sacrifices that they did while they served honorably, despite making more money. It seems rather arbitrary that their deaths are marginalized because they no longer serve under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. What are we to do?

Word of the Day: Taciturn (adj): Habitually silent; not inclined to talk.

On This Day in History: Yesterday was the Ides of March, and was thus the 2,051st anniversary of Gaius Julius Caesar’s assassination by members of the Roman Senate. Today is the first day of Bacchanalia, a two day Roman cult festival of debauchery which was eventually heavily regulated by the Senate. Also, the Blizzard of 1993 – for which I had several days off school.

“Molon Labe!” – Leonidas.

Still as bitter and spiteful as ever.

No comments: