07 November 2006

Morning Coffee (05)

Today's Morning Coffee is brought to you by nothing, because that's exactly what I've got right now (in a metaphysical sense). We might be short today, as my computer's down. I'm using someone elses at the moment.

Weather report: Rainy, fairly warm - says it's 48 right now. I don't mind this weather one bit. Makes me want to sit on my porch wrapped in a warm blanket with my girl and a nice hot cup of apple cider.

Some of you might know that Veteran's Day is coming up. It will be celebrated Friday, but it's actually Saturday. It is an important day for me; one of the three major holidays in my book (eclipsed only by my anniversary, which my wife would never belief). Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, and the Marine Corps Birthday. These days are sacred to me. They celebrate the "band of brothers" of which I am a part. On Veteran's Day, you should take a minute to think about Veterans, and what they mean to our way of life. Our present situation makes it doubly important to consider this. A lot of people only think of old men as vets; this is not true. You'll see today, 21 or 22 year old veterans. Anyone who has served honorably is a veteran - something that you may not know.

So take some time to consider our veterans. If you see or talk to one, thank them for their service. Buy one a beer. Shake his or her hand. I will tell you from personal experience, very little makes you feel as good as a complete stranger coming up to you, shaking your hand, and thanking you for your service to your country.

Here is a pretty good article on Veteran's Day, written by Michelle Cuthrell of the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. Take a gander. http://newsminer.com/2006/11/03/3044/

That's all I got for now, but it is oh so much. Hopefully the computer will be fixed tomorrow.

A fitting quote, from a great American General: "If a man does his best, what else is there?" George S Patton.

Word of the Day: Obfuscate (transitive verb): 1. to darken or render indistinct or dim; 2. to make obscure or difficult to understand or make sense of; 3. to confuse or bewilder. (Also sort of fitting)

On this Day in History: The London Gazette, the oldest surviving journal, was first published (1665). (Editor's Note: That is old. However, it seems that the great movers and shakers took 07 Nov off throughout history. Pretty slim pickens.)

No comments: